We’ve been in business over 35 years and during that time it may surprise you to learn how many homeowners contact our office not knowing whether they actually need window repair or replacement. While we strive to be the Houston’s go to destination for all things windows, there are just some things that are beyond our scope…window repair is one of them. So how do you know whether you need to replace or repair your existing home windows?
First, lets go over what an actual window replacement entails, it’s actually a lot more detailed than you think. The first step of course is choosing the right windows for your home. There are a variety of options to choose from. Our Design Consultants are specially trained to help you navigate the process and help you choose the best fit for your home. Whether you are interested in vinyl windows, aluminum windows, wood windows, composite windows, impact resistant windows or fiberglass windows our design consultants have you covered.
Once your products are ordered and arrive in our warehouse, installation is scheduled. Our team will then carefully and neatly install the new windows into your home. Installation begins with the removal of your old windows and frames as well as the exterior and interior trim. Once complete our installation team will carefully slide your new windows into place, and make sure they’re level and plum. The exterior trim, or cladding, is installed after the windows are replaced and provides a tight barrier from the weather.
Now that you know what exactly happens during the installation of replacement windows, how do you know if it’s what you need? Here are the top 5 reasons homeowners replace their windows.
- Outside Noise. If your windows provide little protection from the sounds of the outdoors, they may not be sealed correctly or were poorly made to begin with. New double- or triple-pane glass windows insulated with an Argon gas fill will decrease outdoor noise, which is especially helpful for our Houston homeowners.
- The Draft Invasion. Do you feel a breeze from your homes windows even when they’re closed? If so, there could be a number of issues including poor installation, faulty seals and more. A drafty window can drastically change the overall temperature of your home, causing your HVAC system to work twice as hard to keep up with the fluctuating temperature.
- Soft, Chipped or Water Damaged Frames. If your window frames are soft to the touch and chipped, it is likely that they are already beyond repair. Soft window frames indicate rot and water infiltration. It’s possible that they will start sagging, if they haven’t already. At this stage replacement is definitely a must.
- Windows Hard to Open, Close or Lock. Windows that were not installed correctly tend to develop balance issues, making the windows challenging to open and close. Windows that are rusting or rotting can also be difficult to operate. If your windows do not close properly, you may not be able to lock them, which can impact the safety of your home.
- Condensation Build Up Between Glass Layers . If you notice that your windows are frosting between the layers of glass, it means that your seals have failed, allowing moisture between the glass panes. Once the seals fail, any insulating gas used to make the window energy efficient is now gone.
If you are experiencing any one of these issues contact Gulf Coast Windows today and schedule your free assessment with one of our tenured Design Consultants at 713-849-5454.
In the event you are not experiencing any of the above chances are your windows just need to be repaired. Window repairs are fairly straight forward and contain far less moving parts and details. Typically if your windows need to be repaired you can contact a pro and have them out the same day, this is especially true if your glass just needs to be replaced. If you are experiencing any of the following then your windows probably are in need of a quick fix repair and not a full on replacement.
- Broken/Cracked Glass. If your windows glass is broken, cracked or shattered you do not need to replace the entire unit. In these instances it’s best to locate a local glass replacement company and have them come out to replace just the glass. Do not worry if your windows are Double Pane and have an Argon fill, a reputable glass replacement pro will have the products on hand to replace your glass with something equivalent. Gulf Coast Windows does NOT replace or repair any glass.
It’s also important to mention that if you have double or triple-pane windows and only one pane is broken, you can replace that specific piece of glass. It is not necessary to replace all of the panes if they are intact. If the rest of your window is in good condition, the most affordable and efficient option would be to replace only the damaged glass. There are many glass replacement companies out there that can assist you with this project.
- Faulty Parts. If you have you noticed that the crank on your casement window won’t crank anymore or the lock on one of your windows won’t work not only is it dangerous to have a window that cannot open or lock, but they are a pain to deal with on a daily basis. The solution here isn’t always to replace the entire window, but to replace the part that is affected itself. This will be the cheapest option. There are two ways to go about getting parts of your window repaired. You can either choose to do it on your own or have a professional come in and do the repair work.
- Dirty Windows. Dirty glass, again, is an easy fix. There are many kinds of retail window washing products to buy if you want to do it yourself. If not, contact a professional cleaning company to inquire if they ‘clean windows’. Be sure to check and make sure that the ‘dirt’ or cloudiness that you see on your windows is truly on the exterior. If any of the cloudiness, dirt or moisture that you see is actually between the panes of glass then washing the outside of them will not solve your problem.
If you have any questions and aren’t sure whether you need window repair or replacement don’t hesitate to contact our office, while we don’t offer any glass replacement or repair service we may be able to point you in the right direction.