Shopping for Replacement Windows for Your Home in Dallas? Look for the ENERGY STAR® Label
Replacement windows have come a long, long way. Thanks to improvements in frame formulations, glazing technology, and manufacturing practices, even economically priced windows of today are considerably more advanced than higher-end models from just a decade or so ago. That being said, not all of today’s replacement windows are created equal – far from it, in fact. A convenient way to separate the highest-performing windows from all the others is to look for the ENERGY STAR® certification label.
What is ENERGY STAR®?
It is a program backed by the federal government with the stated aim of providing simple, credible, and unbiased information to consumers so that they can better make more well-informed product selection choices. More specifically, products – including replacement windows – that have earned the ENERGY STAR® label have been proven to help consumers both reduce their energy consumption and save money.
Windows that are ENERGY STAR® certified either meet or exceed minimum federal guidelines for energy efficiency. Performance ratings are broken down as follows:
- U-Factor – measures how well a window insulates with values generally ranging from 0.25 and 1.25
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient – measures how well a window blocks heat caused by sunlight with metrics ranging from 0 to 1
- Air Leakage – measures cubic feet of air passing through one square foot of window area per minute
- Visible Transmittance – measures the amount of light a window lets through on a scale of 0 to 1
- Condensation Resistance – measures how well a window is resistant to water buildup scored on a scale from 0 to 100
For more information about ENERGY STAR® performance standards and how you can have ENERGY STAR® replacement windows installed on your home, contact Gulf Coast Windows – one of the premier window replacement companies serving the Dallas area. All our windows are ENERGY STAR® certified, 100 percent made to order, and backed by a 50-year limited lifetime warranty that can be transferred up to three times!